Recent Fire Damage Posts

Preventing House Fires In Your Long Island Home

2/10/2021 (Permalink)

Stay Safe By Being Proactive! Steps You Can Take to Preventing Home Fires

Many Long Island house fires are preventable if you follow proper safety protocols. Our team has compiled a list of tips to take to better protect your home and your family.

What Should I Do to Prevent a Fire?

Fires can strike at any time, in any home. With a fire comes destruction and often loss of much of your home. But many fires can be prevented. According to Total Fire & Protection, the Fire Department of New York City (FDNY) gets calls for approximately 2,200 structural fires each month. They also state,

“This number is staggering, especially considering that many landowners ignore measures that could reduce the risk of fires in their homes.”

Fire prevention is not difficult. It requires very little of your time or money, but it can go a long way in saving you in both of those areas. Here are safety precautions SERVPRO recommends:
•    Smoke Alarms – Every home should have several smoke alarms. A monthly test should be performed to ensure the alarm is operating correctly. Replace batteries yearly and replace the smoke alarms every ten years.
•    Open Flames – Never leave open flames unattended. Candles, fireplaces, and gas kitchen stoves are all examples of things you should never walk away from.
•    Dryers – Maintain your dryer by cleaning it regularly. Clean the lint trap after each load. Dryer fires from built-up lint is a common source of house fires.
•    Household Chemicals – Keep combustible products away from sunlight and heat sources. Store them away from the main living area, if possible.
•    Wiring – Do a regular check of household wires and cables. If they become frayed, worn out, or otherwise damaged, they can become a fire hazard. Replace damaged wires immediately.

If you do experience a fire, don’t attempt to clean up the damage yourself. SERVPRO’s professional technicians understand fire damage cleanup and the mitigation required to return your home to preloss condition. Contact SERVPRO of Freeport, Roosevelt at (516) 774-2200. We’re Faster to Any Size Disaster.

Winter Weather: Fire Safety Tips

1/29/2021 (Permalink)

space heater indoors Stay SAFE when heating your home, Long Islanders! Here are some fire safety tips to help you stay warm safely.

At SERVPRO of Freeport, Roosevelt we know how damaging and upsetting a fire can be to a home.

Between December to February, there is a significant amount of fires that occur more in those three days. More fires happen in the winter months than any other time of the year. Why? During the cold months, we spend more time indoors and use different methods to heat our homes.

Below, we will go over different indoor heating appliances and how to use them safely when you are heating your home.

Portable Heater

- Make sure the heater has an automatic shut-off so if it tips over, it shuts off.

- Keep anything that can burn such bedding, clothing and curtains at least 3 feet from the heater.

- Plug portable heaters directly into wall outlets. Never use an extension cord or power strip.

- Turn heaters off when you go to bed or leave the room.

Fireplace

- Keep a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace to prevent embers or sparks from jumping out and starting a fire.

- Do not burn paper in your fireplace.

- Before you go to sleep or leave your home put the fire out completely.

- Put ashes in a metal container with a lid. Store the container outside at least 3 feet from your home.

If you are using a wood stove:

- Have your chimney inspected and cleaned each year by a professional.

- Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet from the stove.

- Do not burn paper in your wood stove.

- Before you go to sleep or leave your home, put the fire out completely.

Be Wary of Carbon Monoxide

When heating your home, you need to be aware of carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide, also known as CO, is called the “invisible killer” because it’s a colorless, odorless, and poisonous gas. More than 150 people in the U.S. die every year from accidental CO poisoning from generators or fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters and fire places.

Breathing CO at high levels can kill you. Put CO alarms inside your home to provide an early warning of increasing CO levels. These alarms should be placed in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of your home.

Smoke Alarms

As always, make sure you have a smoke alarm on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas. Test your alarms every month. Have a home fire escape plan and practice your plan at least twice a year. Make sure everyone knows how to escape your home if there is a fire. 

Contact Us

SERVPRO of Freeport, Roosevelt is here to help you with any fire safety or fire damage restoration you might need. Call our office at 516-774-2200

Preventing Christmas Tree Fires

12/11/2020 (Permalink)

tree on fire Take care of your Christmas tree to be sure that you don't experience any fire damage!

Did you that one of every four home Christmas tree fires is caused by electrical problems?

Christmas tree fires are not common, but that does not mean that they are not to be taken seriously. On average, one of every 32 reported home Christmas tree fires results in a death compared to an average of one death per 143 total reported home fires.

Common Causes For Fires:

1) A heat source too close to the tree causes one in every four Christmas tree fires.

2) Electrical issues can cause a fire. Be sure to inspect your holiday lights each year before you put them up. Throw away light strands with frayed or pinched wires.

3) A dry Christmas tree is a major fire hazard. A dry tree is dangerous because it can catch on fire easily. Be sure to water your tree to keep it from being too dry.

4) Candles are a fire hazard, with a risk of the flame catching to upholstery or other flammable materials. Consider using battery-operated flameless candles, which can look, smell and feel like real candles. 

Those are our top tips for Christmas tree safety! If you do experience any fire loss, be sure to call our team at SERVPRO of Freeport Roosevelt for quick assistance.

Fire Damage: What You Need to Know!

10/13/2020 (Permalink)

After indoor fire Fire damage can be stressful! Be sure to follow these tips to know how to react once a fire occurs.

Safety First

When fire damage occurs, it's important to make sure that you and your loved ones are safe. First, evaluate if it is safe to stay in the home. If there is too much smoke, you should evacuate immediately and find lodging elsewhere. 

If you can stay in your home, take some precautions. Be sure to avoid any electrical items that might be volatile after fire damage. In addition, be careful of any possible debris on the ground as a result from the damage.

SERVPRO of Freeport, Roosevelt is equipped to help remove fire damage, resulting water damage, moving debris, and cleaning your home. Our job is to remove all signs that a disaster occurred.

Experiencing Fire or Smoke Damage? Call (516) 774-2200

My Home Was On Fire: What Should I Do Now?

  1. To prevent damage to your floors, avoid walking on any rugs or carpeting. Remember: more foot traffic = set in stains.
  2. Wash your hands and keep them clean. Soot is easily transferable, so be sure to keep away as to not spread the mess further.
  3. Place old sheets or towels on the walkthrough areas of the home.
  4. If your power is turned off, check your kitchen! Make sure you take all food from the fridge and freezer out. Either put in a cooler or promptly discard what you cannot immediately eat.
  5. Locate and change your HVAC filter.
  6. Air registers should be covered with a breathable cloth (i.e. cheesecloth, large handkerchief)

What to Avoid

  1. Don't attempt to clean the damaged areas yourself. Improper cleaning may set in damage if not done with the correct equipment.
  2. If your electrical appliances are damaged or covered in soot, DO NOT attempt to clean. There is a risk of shock or burning upon touch.
  3. Throw out any and all food that was located near the fire. This includes pantry-safe foods that are canned or packaged.
  4. If the ceiling is wet from fire damage control, do not attempt to turn ceiling fans on. The electrical wiring needs to be checked by a professional.
  5. Do not stay in the home if you have difficult with breathing.

SERVPRO of Freeport, Roosevelt is here to service you with any fire or smoke damage you might experience after a disaster. We will be able to help clear soot and ashes of all surfaces, check electrical units for repair, remediate water damage, and provide proper cleaning for carpets/upholstery. We will also be able to check HVAC and Air Ducts to make sure your home ventilation is working properly.

Fires, no matter how small, can be traumatizing and extremely stressful. Don't go it alone! Once you're safe, be sure to call SERVPRO of Freeport, Roosevelt for your fire restoration needs at (516) 774-2200